Thursday, September 23, 2010

Bad Thoughts

So a month or so ago together with my Psychiatrist I made the decision to increase my anti-depressants. It was a relatively new medication anyway, I had only been on a low dose for a couple of months. But I was still really struggling with getting enough sleep, both quality and quantity, due to my 'night-time anxiety' and also my nightmares often waking me up and making me fearful to go back to sleep. Also because of feelings and thoughts I was having. Even though I have a diagnosis of 'Depressive Dis-order' for me it has always been something that I suffer from as a magnification of outside events. So, if things are difficult, for example events beyond my control 'happening to me' or I am getting triggered alot about my trauma then I can get very down and overwhelmed. But for me Depression has never been something that has affected me when everything in my life is balanced and going well. It seems as though (and most Treatment Providers that have known me have said) that Depression for me is similar to Anxiety, another symptom of my PTSD (Post-traumatic Stress Disorder). I know it might seem difficult to believe after alot I have written in this blog, but most people have only ever got to see the 'happy' Danielle, with only a very few that have seen me 'not well' or not doing-so-good.
So part of the feelings that I was struggling with a few weeks ago, was alot of suicidal thoughts. It was becoming a daily occurrence, and that was scaring me... luckily I have some skills to put into play when I start feeling this way, but it doesn't always make the thoughts totally go away. The biggest thing I know Is Too Just Hold On - Everything Changes Eventually, including the way I feel & if I am still here holding on when it changes then I'll get the chance to see that.

I don't know why these thoughts come sometimes and not others. There are a variety of emotions attached... shame, fear, anger, disgust...
Probably thanks to the increase in medication a few weeks ago it's been a few weeks since I started feeling this way.
But then yesterday it started. I spent about an hour last night trying to ring Lifeline but it just kept going to the recorded message that they didn't have anyone available and to phone back. It was almost midnight and I had tried phoning a couple of different people earlier, a family member and someone else. They didn't answer, I am not sure if they saw my number and didn't want to talk to me or not.

I found out last week that if you have a Review lodged with ACC over an issue, you can't take any Legal Action regarding it, it's one or the other. And neither is guaranteed obviously.
I have one thing now with ACC that I first put an Application through for in October 2008, it is still in review now, it's been almost 2 years and still no idea when it will be sorted.
And now I have to try and decide about trying to get a review on their bullshit decision regarding my treatment. Which mean that the small amount of treatment I've had and paid for by borrowing money left, right and center (thinking of course this will get sorted out and the ACC subsidised portion would be able to be paid back) is just forgotten about if I try for the review 'option', or going the Legal way, selling more stuff (clothes and book... bbq... tv) to be able to stand up for myself, and say, that's not ok how you've treated me.

At the beginning of this year I thought of a friend who had been involved (she had cancer) when patients, mainly women I think, were campaigning and asking for Herceptim to be provided or subsidised for the treatment of breast cancer. I actually knew two women who were diagnosed withen 24hours of each other, they subsequently went on to attend alot of their treatment together. BUT at the time, One of them had insurance, and One of them didn't. 'Had-insurance-woman' had her Heceptim paid for by the insurance company, she spent alot of time at home resting, eating Organic Food, playing video games, and watching movies. 'UN-Insured Woman' was constantly on the go, I think working still, she had alot of support but had to go far as fund-raising to get the treatment she needed to save her life. Thankfully through in part due to same brave Women standing up and speaking out, I believe that funding has changed somewhat, and the 'un-insured' are able to access this treatment.

But that's how it felt at the beginning of this year, I felt like I was standing in the eye of a hurricane watching everything tumble and spin around me, dangerous and out of control... and I thought this is how women must have felt when the were diagnosed with breast cancer and they new that they couldn't afford the treatment.

Just because PTSD is not something you can put under a microscope, it doesn't mean it isn't real. It's real for me and I hate what happened to me SO MUCH, and I wish I couldn't remember things that I can... and I wish my therapy would've been able to finish.

I've got know idea if the above will make sense, it either will or I'll look totally pathetic. I don't know any answers right now.

3 comments:

  1. What you have written makes sense and you're not pathetic. Being someone who has suffered from depression I understand the difficulty dealing it, the suicidal thoughts, the strong conflicting emotions attached to them, and the insecurities.

    "most people have only ever got to see the 'happy' Danielle, with only a very few that have seen me 'not well' or not doing-so-good." I was like that too, except my name was Chris not Danielle... in fact I doubt anyone has seen or was at least aware of the not so good Chris. I tried very hard to hide it although from the outside I was very weird. (probably still am :p).

    I won't go into more depth here, but I am sure you know what I am on about.

    It is hard for someone who has not been through it to understand and although it is unfair on you I imagine it is just as difficult for them to deal with it. I am not sure if it is a NZ society thing or human nature, but a few people I know just cannot comprehend it. Get to the point?? I suppose what I am trying to say in a round about way is don't despair if people don't understand, there are others who do.

    I am not sure if this is the right thing to say or the right way to say it, but you have been put in a shit situation and you have done real well to survive this long. I'm proud of you, I'm glad I know you and I think it is great you have the courage to write this blog.

    Take care, keep looking after yourself and keep writing your blog posts. It is good to know you are still here and willing to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hhhmmm I was quite revealing there wasn't I? I forgot what I wrote and didn't think I said that much. Oh well there are probably only psychologist types, you and possibly a few other survivors reading this so no fear there. :)

    To steal you words (sorry I am not original) my good and safe thoughts go out to you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danielle,

    What you've written makes perfect sense. You've got so much happening, that it all feels overwhelming and out of control. I'm really sorry...

    Please try not to read too much into people not picking up the phone when you called. They could have been busy, out, or any number of things which have nothing to do with you or their willingness to help you. Do you have any other help lines that you've found useful? I've also found LifeLine great, but they're often busy, so will try one of the other lines as a back-up plan.

    I know what you mean about the "happy face". I saw someone today who got their first hint of what my dysfunction can be like. It shocked them. But, we need to be able to show how we're really feeling. We need to be able to be honest, or else it makes the healing so much more difficult.

    Please take care and keep on holding on...
    CG

    ReplyDelete